Me: What do you see in Olive Oyl? She's so skinny... Popeye: Well, unlike Nicole Richie, she's sweet. And helpless. And she has a really sexy voice. And she's flexible, in an almost sick, Gumby-like way...which definitely (blushing) has its advantages.
Me: Why don't we see much of you on TV anymore?
Popeye: Well, 30 years ago I was as popular as Mickey Mouse, believe it or not. But I've been in hiding the last few years while overcoming my addiction to pain killers. But with the recent cable television explosion, Cartoon Network, Boomerang, etc. I'm back on TV more than ever.
Me: To what do you credit your slow decline in popularity?
Popeye: I really attribute it to being a sailor. There was a time where being in the navy was cool. I remember when the tattoo of choice was an anchor. Since 911, people's perceptions of a hero have changed. Believe it or not, I'm actually thinking of changing careers and becoming a firefighter.
Me: How has the recent finding of E-coli in spinach affected you?
Popeye: Honestly, most of my spinach comes from cans, so I really haven't been affected. But it's scary. I've been such a proponent of spinach over the years, so to endorse something that is making people sick is horrible.
Me: What do you think of Dave Coulier (aka TV's Uncle Joey from Full House)?
Popeye: He's probably a good person. But he's the type of comedian who tries too hard to be funny, and it shows. Like Kathy Griffin.
Me: His impression of you sucks.
Popeye: "Well blow me down!" There's obviously more to me than just that one line. But give him some credit, he does a pretty mean Bullwinkle.
No comments:
Post a Comment