Monday, February 26, 2007

Office improvements



Thinking too hard makes my heart hurt. Recently I've been watching quite a few episodes of "The Office" back to back, and I've been thinking way too hard about the entire premise of the show.

While the episodes still stand up to the funny test (aka they make me laugh - a lot), the entire backbone of the show has a severe case of scoliosis. A documentary about a paper-supply company? Maybe that's what makes it funny... But who are we to believe is funding this ridiculous project? And what's taking so long to wrap up? Do they really need 2 YEARS (going on 10) worth of footage to make a documentary about an office?

Frankly, I'm getting pretty sick of Pam, especially her repeating testimonials like "It was a good day... ... I dunno... ... It was a good day." I've been driven to the point of hoping Jim leaves her for Karen. And what happened to Ed Helms? He just disappeared with no explanation, Judy-Winslow style. Or is he still at anger management classes?

Obviously I wouldn't dedicate an entire post to this show unless I really liked it. It is without a doubt one of the funniest on TV. And I'm not the type of person to come to the table with only problems and no solutions. So if I were in charge, here's how I would change the office.

1. Have Jim & Pam either hook up immediately or get in a huge fight. I want this done yesterday. Contrary to what the producers may believe, I do not tune in to see the latest developments with this love story, I tune in in spite of it.
2. Fewer testimonials from Pam. More testimonials from Dwight.
3. Bring Ed Helms back. He's one of the funniest people on earth. Show him at his anger management classes.
4. More screen time for secondary characters. While there might be some backlash, I would love to see an entire episode revolve around Creed.
5. More warehouse episodes. Every time Michael goes out there hilarity ensues.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, what did happen to ed helmes? I was asking kate that during the last episode... I miss him.. even if he is a bit over-bearing... and, in the last episode karen said she was the only one left from the other branch, that the rest quit or were fired. Was ed fired, did he quit???

Anonymous said...

Hey Ike- Did some research and found out what happened to Ed. Here's the link http://blogs.tvweek.com/daisy-whitney/i-know-where-ed-helms-went/02.14.2007.html

He's at a ten week anger management class... But you have to purchase the iTunes footage to find that out... Back in April

Ike said...

They also need more episodes of Michael at his improv class!