Monday, July 14, 2008

Cherry Hill Pukefest

Friday night we joined the fam for a "stay-cation" (Esther's words - not mine) at Cherry Hill. Jana and I had gone to great lengths to ensure our comfort - by "great lengths" I mean borrowing Jana's dad's tent, air mattress and sleeping bags (I guess we don't enjoy camping enough to spend our money on camping gear).

For dinner we had fried chikin, fruit, potato salad, you know - all the yummy-yum-yum yummies that make a camping trip SOO fun! We made the mistake of letting Luke sit at the "kid's" table. Normally this would be fine; but when you leave the cheetos and cookies out - you're just asking for trouble. After one of the best free lip-sync concerts I've ever been to in my entire life, Nancy Curtis - Hell-OH! it was time to hit the hay. Luke was begging to go to sleep, so we put him down and stayed up playing the dumbest yet most popular campfire game of all time - Phase 10.

We rolled into bed around midnight. Max was restless and rolling around so Jana couldn't fall asleep. Then - at approximately 2 a.m. - it happened... Luke threw up all over the place. It was all over his sleeping bag, his pillow, the blanket underneath him. Yuck. It was the vilest-smelling puke in the history of pukefests.

We cleaned up what we could. We threw all the soiled stuff outside the tent. We contemplated just going home. Jana put Luke on the air matress in her sleeping bag. Since there was no longer room for me on the air matress, and the only place left to sleep in the tent was where the incident took place (and it still reeked like a SOB) I took my sleeping bag to an extra empty tent we had set up the day before by accident.

I didn't sleep great on the hard ground, but I was ok. Jana, on the other hand, was not. The only thing she could find to use as a blanket was a wet towel. And Jana, being the sometimes-too-nice (if that's possible) person that she is, didn't make a peep until morning.

The sun rose early and I got up to check on her, only to find out she'd been awake shivering almost the entire night! And now she has a cold. Jana - I'm so sorry! You are the best mom! Next time this happens (it will happen again - trust me), speak up! I'll be happy to shiver for you!


(one of my all-time favorite clips)

5 comments:

brandi (and tim) said...

This post makes me so sad for Jana... and then sad for that poor guy, how embarrassing!

~b

brandi (and tim) said...

I can't believe that Jana didn't give you the air mattress and made you sleep on the hard ground. Just kidding Jana. Men need to be more intuitive.

Unknown said...

Poor Jana!!!!! Poor Luke!!!!

Jen said...

Oh, poor Jana...she really is the nicest person I know. You really got lucky with her Ike.

Esther said...

Like Father Like Son. Ike pukes after eating too much at Chuck-a-Rama. Luke pukes after eating too much too.
Sorry to hear that Jana had to shiver all night and poor Lukey.