Thursday, August 07, 2008

U of U golf course to close :(

According to the The Deseret (Morning - I'll never get used to that) News, the U of U golf course has less than a year to live.

I have played this golf course countless times, probably more than any other. My dad used to have a "President's Pass." He thought this magical pass got us all on the course for free. We would get there and show the man in the little shack (okay - small building, but it has shack-like qualities, right?) the pass. He would inevitably say "what's that?", we would explain it got us on for free, and we'd be on our way. After doing this at least 20 times, we showed up one sunny Saturday to find out the pass was not in fact good for free golf, and should never have been accepted.

To keep the streak of free golf alive, last year my work received a ginormous stack of free passes. I probably golfed up there 15 times last summer. At the time, my friend Chad and I were working together (we still work at the same place, just not together) and we'd go up almost every Monday morning.

Even if the golf wasn't free - it wouldn't have mattered much. The U's course has probably the cheapest golf in the state - $5 for students and $7 for everyone else. Utah has an abundance of golf courses. What it lacks is CHEAP golf courses. The subtraction of the U of U course won't help in the worthy cause of cheap golf for those of us not wealthy enough for this seemingly elitist hobby.

As much as I've played at the U, and with all the Par 3's, I'm a little surprised I've never hit a hole in one. Yes I've come close a few times, but I guess it would help if I were a better golfer. However, I'm even more surprised that I've never hit a car (I think I did once hit a trax train - or was that you Jacob?). I must say that I've come extremely close on many occasions.

That's part what makes this course unique. It has major streets running through the middle of it! It has defiantly withstood the test of time, clinging to dear life as ever-expanding hospitals continue to spring forth around it. And the views of the valley are breathtaking. My favorite part of every round is the 9th tee box. From there, there are no obstructions and you can see the entire Salt Lake valley. The joy of a good round of golf coming to a close combine with the magnificent views to give you the feeling that life is complete and perfect (even if your golf game isn't).

Well, I've reminisced long enough. U of U golf course, I shall miss you. If anyone wants to go with me and golf for one of the last times, let me know. No tee time necessary.

5 comments:

The Yospe's said...

I'll go with you. I haven't gone golfing yet this year.

Ike said...

Who is "the Yospe's"? Are you Jacob or Jordan? Any way you might consider changing your name so it's clear who you are when you leave comments?

Cheeseboy said...

I think that is Jordan.

Even though it is a joke of a course, I love that place! There are not many fond places left in the memories of my youth. Ahh, I will have to blog about that later. Good post!

The Yospe's said...

Well, Jacob used to be the Yospe's too, but i think he changed it to "Jake and Heather" or something. So, now, there is just me.

Unknown said...

Talking about hole in ones!! Don't forget I've had one in St. George a few years back!!!!!! ALL RIGHT CARLA - WAY TO GO!!