I hadn't been to IFA in probably 20 years. Returning brought back a flood of memories. Little about the store has changed since my mom dragged us there to pick up chicken and rabbit food more than 2 decades ago. Luke was in heaven, as the store was filled with baby chickens, ducks, and cut cuddly bunny rabbits.
I just about bought one of these baby chicks. How can you resist? They're soft, cute, and they look like everyone's favorite Easter treat - Peeps. But we weren't there for chicks. We were on a peach-tree mission, and a peach-tree mission it would remain. After a little while, I found the tree I was looking for, pried Luke away from the baby animals, and we were on our way.I'm now proud to say I'm a peach-tree owner. Probably more proud of this than being an anything-else owner (home, iPhone, you name it). The only regret is I didn't plant one 2 or 3 years ago so we could be enjoying the peaches this year. O'well. I guess we'll just have to break down and buy a lug.
Anyway - enough of my rambling and now to the point: This experience brought back one of the more repressed memories stuck in the depths of my cranium. It's a brutal, awful, horrific memory. The memory of my father, Clark the Killer, murdering our soft bunny rabbit friends.
When I was little, we had quite a few bunny rabbits. And the bunny rabbits did what bunny rabbits do best: made more bunny rabbits. On several occasions I remember my mom gathering all the kids into the house while my dad went out with a hatchet to kill the Easter Bunny. We would sneak peeks out the window to see Clark the Killer hanging a rabbit on a large nail and skinning him. For the next week, my mom would make rabbit casserole, rabbit balls, rabbit-salad sandwhiches, you name it, if it has rabbit in it, she made it.
It almost makes me want to be a vegetarian. But nowadays when I'm chowing down a chicken sandwich, Big Mac or rabbit pot pie - I remember - I was never friends with this chicken/cow/rabbit. And if that doesn't work, I pretend the chicken/cow/rabbit was evil and deserves to be eaten. And if that doesn't work, I just remember how delicious red meat is and I'm good to go.
11 comments:
Just like your apple tree, please be sure to plant that close to the fence so I can benefit from the peach tree also. Thanks!!!
Heather wants to know what rabbit balls taste like?
A rabbit ball is like a chicken ball. It's cooked rabbit soaked in cream of rabbit soup and wrapped in raw dough and then baked.
Where does one find a can of cream of rabbit soup?
You think you're so funny, Ike.
I still can't believe the stories are true....those poor little bunnies, so cute and so fluffy. We are never getting rabbits for pets, that is "fur" sure!!!
Who is anonymous? Dad?
Lindsey, you're going to hate me but we moved the Apple tree! No kidding!
We do love peaches! In a year or two you'll have enough for homemade peach ice cream - yummy! What a fun day for Luke to not only spend it with his dad but to enjoy all the little chicks and bunnies! Whatever you do - don't go into the 'rabbit' eating business.
The worst part of eating rabbit balls was picking out the little bones. And pulling out the small strands of fur.
I agree. Food has to be little bone free to be eaten. Salmon excepting. Hilarious. Keep writing and I'll keep reading.
What happened to the chick?
Post a Comment