Monday, August 27, 2007

Little Miss Idiot



I run the serious risk of offending my neighbor, good friend and ex-pageant participant Brittany with this post, but hey, I'm entitled to my opinion and I've never been one to keep my mouth shut when I have one. And the above clip reminded me exactly how much I hate pageants. Let me count the reasons...

1. Tara Conner - She's a drunk who was seen at a bar making out with Miss Teen USA (allegedly). What's not to like, right? After all, one of the main reasons people justify these pageants is so our kids will have women to look up to.

2. Swimsuit competitions - While I admit I don't not like looking at fit girls in tight swimsuits, what better way is there to respect women than to put them on display like they're cattle at the state fair?

3. Donald Trump (Owner of Miss USA) - Even though I like him more than Rosie, that still doesn't mean I like him. The guys been married 3 times... shows you what kind of respect he must have for the opposite sex. No wonder he owns a beauty pageant.

4. Little Miss Sunshine Syndrome - Little Miss Sunshine is a very funny movie (although perhaps slightly overrated) that is very honest in its depiction of just how far the parents of "pageant kids" can push. Hey, I'm not against playing dress-up, but every time I see a story on JonBenet Ramsey it makes me throw up in my mouth, not just because she was murdered but because throughout her short life she was forced to be something other than a normal little girl.

5. Miss Congeniality 2 - I don't really have much to say about this. Just that it ranks right up on my list of favorite movies with Jungle 2 Jungle, Bicentennial Man, and Fast & the Furious. Can I have my 2 hours back please?

6. Comparing Apples & Oranges - What better way to find out who's more talented than letting person A dance, person B sing, and person C do a magic show? It's the same reason I watch American Idol and NOT America's Got Talent. It's meaningless.

So there you have it. Now you now know my stance. I can't think of anything more Christian than having a contest where we compare people and declare that one is better than the rest. Ridiculous.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I love your opinions, you're not afraid to tell people how you really feel! lol I'm sure Brittany will laugh when she reads this! Afterall, she did laugh when Miss USA feel flat on her butt in the Miss Universe pageant.