Friday, August 29, 2008

It's so hard to say goodbye to yesterday - so don't do it by attending a Boyz II Men Concert

Last night! Oh last night! What a night!

I have to be honest - when Jacob invited me to the Boyz II Men concert (in Orem, to make matters worse), I wasn't jumping out of my chair. I hadn't listened to "the boyz" in probably 15 years. Why would I want to spend a night away from the fam for this? But I hadn't had some quality "Buck time" in awhile, plus I knew good or bad, the show would be very blogworthy (anything for the blog - right?), plus we even got to meet "the boyz" (or are they now men?), so I decided to give it a go.

But last night! What a night! It was a night mixed with hip-hop over the railroad tracks and songs you can make love to all night long! It was a night of coolyhighharmonies and all the Philly steaks you can eat!

Jacob made us stop for a free Krispy Kreme doughnut on the way. Yes, it was delicious. Yes, it made me sick. And yes, it made us late! Bad call, Jacob, bad call. But the fates were smiling down on us last night. We arrived at the meet & greet in the nick of time, as security was escorting "the boyz" back to their tour bus or a bar wherever else they hang out for a few hours until they take the stage (are there bars in Orem?). "The boyz" were nice enough to ignore the security guard long enough to sign some memorabilia including the $2 shirts Jordan & Kate bought on eBay.

{insert picture of me with "the boyz" here. You better email it to me soon Jordan!}

UPDATE: Here it finally is. Today is December 10th and Jordan emailed it to me yesterday...


It probably helped that I went in with low expectations, but the show was honestly truly phenomenal. There was an energy from the all-Caucasian crowd (with the exception of Alex Boye, who was sitting right by us) that created a magical buzz that no one there could deny. Even the 85-year-old man (no kidding) sitting in front of us was bobbing his head and smiling.


It was as if the Scera Shell was a time machine. We were all transported back to 1992 or whatever year it was that Boyz II Men was actually cool. After almost every song, the "boyz" would look up at the sold-out crowd with wide eyes and sincere gratitude. They seemed shocked to see that there were actually still people who like them (or at least - had nothing better to do so since they were already there pretended to like them).

They sang all the hits, from Motownphilly to On Bended Knee to I'll Make Love to You, I had forgotten how many hit songs "the Boyz" had back in "the Dayz."

When they finally sang End of the Road, I found the perfect opportunity to try out my knew "Freebird" lighter application on my iPhone. Yes - I am THAT lame!

"The boyz" sounded great, they had a lot of energy, and lots of songs I could sing along to at the top of my lungs. What more could I ask for? I'll tell you what - sing It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday, dang it! Why would you omit one of your most popular songs?

4 1/2 stars out of 5 (would have scored 5 out of 5 if they would have sung It's So Hard to Say Goodbye to Yesterday). Bravo boyz, bravo.

10 comments:

Dave said...

I never had you figured as a lover of Boyz (ahem). My favorite Boyz II Men memory came from seeing them perform "End of the Road" at the Stay In School Jam when I was in seventh grade.

The Boyz were the unquestionable highlight of the event, save for when Paula Abdul tried to teach Karl Malone how to dance. Ah the early 90's...

Cheeseboy said...

I hope you and Jake kept your distance and did not make eye contact during "I'll Make Love To You".

Did they sing that Mmm bop song? I love that song!

Ike said...

Cheeseboy -

You were once the biggest Boyz fan of them all! What happened? Is it because the dude with the cane left the group? Don't be a hater!

Know what's funny about your Mmm Bop comment? I've been telling people at my work that I went to the show and I had 2 different people today ask me if they sang that song "Hangin' Tough" (a New Kids on the Block song). And they were dead serious, they thought it was a Boyz II Men song.

Woolf Family said...

Reminds me of the CJH battle of the bands. Procrastination vs the Boyz II Men lip sync.

Ike said...

Nate, the Battle of the Bands is another post for another day.

Cowboy Curtis said...

Ha ha ha, Nate, your comments are always so dang funny, way more funny than Ike actually enjoying himself at a Boyz to Men concert. 10 bucks says that in like 3 weeks, Ike re-reads this blog and thinks "what was I thinking" when the Honeymoon with the Boyz wears off. On a related note, the first CD I ever got was "All 4 One", which was the poor man's Boyz to Men. I won a "CD" off the radio, and that was what they sent me.

Anonymous said...

I didn't even know boyz to men were still together performing. My brother listened to them a lot in like Junior High, and this is the first time since that, that I have heard their names. Good for them, I guess. I'm glad it sounds like it was worth the night out for you.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I even enjoy some of their songs!

Jen said...

Ha ha! I read your blog title and thought to myself "Oh my friend went to that. And she got to meet the Boyz too. I wonder if I described Ike to her is she would have remembered him, or even saw him?" She's married to Alex Boye. Good one.

Anonymous said...

Time to put in the picture i emailed you!