Wednesday, December 10, 2008

The Demise of the Fortune Cookie

If you have ever eaten Chinese with me, you've probably heard my lame jokes about how fortune cookies don't give out fortunes anymore. "We should start calling them statement cookies or compliment cookies," I slyly say, waiting for an obligatory laugh.

I know, you didn't laugh, but thank you at least for the courtesy smile. But you have to agree that fortune cookies have slipped. Unless my memory deceives me and they never gave out fortunes to begin with?

Well yesterday was a new low. I ate a delicious meal of double orange chicken at the Southtowne Mall Panda Express. I cracked open my complimentary cookie, hoping for a "you will stumble upon great wealth," or some other cheesy generic fortune. Heck, at least it's a fortune, right?

So to my great chagrin, turmoil and disappointment, my hope for the future fortune of the fortune cookie itself was shattered when I discovered the "fortune" (air quotes) below...


Saturdays are good days for taking care of chores?! You've got to be kidding me! Worst... Fortune.... Ever....

And with that, all hope for the fortune of the fortune cookie was lost.

Here's a fortune for you, cookie: "You suck."

3 comments:

Jen said...

I concur. Fortunes in fortune cookies are not what they use to be. However, I did receive an actual fortune when we ate at Panda a couple of months ago. It said something like "you will be rewarded for your hard work"...or "good things are coming your way." Something like that. I was impressed. Curtis' fortune (of course which was no fortune at all) was something lame, like..."patience is a virtue" or "friends can bring joy" or something stupid like that. Not that those saying are stupid...they're just not fortunes.

Anyway, it will be good to see you guys this Christmas!

Cheeseboy said...

Are fortunes the same thing as tidings? Like the Christmas song -"Good tidings we bring"...

SkiTwo said...

now I know why I don't eat chinese with those yucky fortune cookie. I think the cookie is as bad as the fortune. Who eats these anyway?