Cheeseboy, I only occasionally respond to your posts with posts of my own, but this time you crossed the line. Since I have worked for FM100 for approximately 8 years, I feel it is my duty to at least explain why we insist on playing Christmas Shoes at least 15 times a day. (DISCLAIMER: My opinions are my own and I do not speak for or represent the station).
Christmas Shoes is a great song! In fact, I dare say it is THE GREATEST Christmas song ever recorded!! Double exclamation point!! It is so great, in fact, that they turned it into a crappy made-for-TV movie. And not just any crappy made-for-TV movie -- a crappy made-for-TV movie starring Rob Lowe and Brad Paisley's wife. Rob Lowe! Brad Paisley's wife! That's gotta mean something!
It is a song that everyone pretends to hate, yet if you hooked people up to a lie detector, you would find that 9 out of 10 people who say they hate it in fact love it. I dare say Cheeseboy that you are one of those people! If you were driving alone in your car and Christmas Shoes came on (which if you are driving more than a few minutes and listening to FM100 it most certainly would), I am willing to bet that you would not in fact change the dial. And while I agree with your opinion that the little boy's priorities are out of whack - his mom is dying and he's buying her shoes? WTH? I declare that you are overthinking it! Who cares what he's buying her? He could be buying her Christmas tampons or Christmas chewing tobacco - it doesn't matter! What matters is this: The spirit of Christmas in this song cannot be denied!
According to my friend and "Father Christmas" midday FM100 personality Bob Nelson, since New Song (great name for a band - by the way, couldn't be less confusing) released Christmas Shoes in 2000, each and every year he has gotten more requests for it than any other song. The requests don't lie, Cheeseboy! You do!
And while I am on my soapbox, I must also come to the defense of "Do They Know It's Christmastime" by Band Aid (also a great band name). How can you knock Bob Geldof? The song raised millions of dollars for starving children in Ethiopia! That's like making fun of Mother Teresa because you don't like her hairdo! Even if you hate the song, you don't say it out loud. And you sure as heck don't put it in writing for the world to see. And don't forget - besides Bono... Sting, Phil Collins, David Bowie, Duran Duran, and Bananarama all participated too! Bananarama! (also a great band name).
And one more thing - to my knowledge, FM100 does not currently, nor have we in the past, played Adam Sandler's Hanukkah Song. You must be confusing FM100 with another station.
And now as I step down from my soapbox, I leave you with the cheesy video to the cheesiest (and best) Christmas song of all time. Merry Christmas everyone!
5 comments:
Ike, you have to be joking, I'm going to take it on faith that you are joking.
Why would I joke about something as sacred as the Christmas Shoes song?
That would only lead me down a path of self destruction that would end with me and Kurt Bestor going to an R Rated movie together and I don't want to go there.
1. I hate the Christmas Shoes song and definately change the station when it is on.
2. Why doesn't FM 100 play the Channakah song? It's funny.
3. Where are your priorites?
4. Christmas tampons would make more sense. Maybe she's on her period and the kid wants his mom to have clean undies when she meets Jesus tonight. I'm just sayin'. Hey. You're the one who wanted to go there.
4. The Snow in Africa song: Sure they raised millions for Africa, but how many millions did they raise for themselves in the process?
This a great defense of the cheese Ike. But this cheese is rotten - it's a stinky, stinky thing.
The cheese is also ugly and black. Esther-#4a Serious?
cousin larry
Post a Comment