Friday, January 09, 2009

My one and only new years resolution

Right this very moment I'm sitting at work, slightly bored (although there are about 15 projects that I should be starting), surfing the world wide web. The magical world wide web where people can hide behind their computer, spouting opinions they may or may not believe.

For those who know me, you know I'm a passionate University of Utah football fan. As you're well aware - one week ago today Utah capped a perfect season by winning the Sugar bowl. It didn't just win, which didn't surprise me - it dominated - which I think surprised everybody. What a glorious night. I thank my family that came over on a snowy night and watched the game with us. It's always more fun to watch (especially when your team wins) with friends.

Well now I'm bored. And I'm surfing. And I watched the fake "National Championship" game last night. And it stung, because it should've been us. And I'm reading. And the more articles, comment boards, etc., I read, the more angry I become. It's SO annoying. The U just finished up a perfect season - a PERFECT SEASON! Thirteen wins. Zero losses. And my happiness has turned into anger! How lame is that?

Yes, I believe the Utes should be national champions. In fact - I believe they ARE the national champions. But why do I care so much that they're not given that distinction by others? My first impression would be because it would forever quiet the Zoobs who insist on constantly reminding U fans of "1984?" But I really don't think so. In fact, the vast majority of Cougar fans were incredibly gracious and rooted for the U to win last week. On a KSL.com poll, 90% of people said the Utes should be #1.

So if 90% of Utahns feel the Utes are deserving of #1, and the majority of Americans feel the Utes deserve at least "a slice," why am I letting it bother me to the point of anger? The only conclusion I can come up with is this: they were never given the chance to prove it.

The national champion was decided by a good old-fashioned popularity contest. And with that, I declare a bold statement that I never thought I'd say: COLLEGE FOOTBALL IS NOT A SPORT. The same way figure skating, gymnastics, and any other so-called sport that relies on judges isn't a sport - that's what college football has been reduced to. And it's sad. But that doesn't mean I have to be sad too.

So in a long, probably boring to you, roundabout way, I think the time has come to post my one and only new years resolution, which is this: I resolve to stop letting the opinions of others bother me. Not only in sports - but every aspect of my life. You're entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to mine. We can be civil and agree to disagree. Whether it be politics, religion, or football, I resolve to respect your opinion whether you respect mine or not.

And in case you were wondering what my opinion is (so you may or may not respect it), I am of the opinion that the University of Utah football team is the best undefeated team in the country. Try arguing with that.

2 comments:

Cheeseboy said...

Good resolution.

By the way, I don't care if BYU fans "cheered" for Utah - They are still zoobs and losers to me.

SkiTwo said...

That is good since you have a blog and let people post their comments ie: opinions.
Great blog. You are bookmarked.