For anyone out there thinking about getting LASIK, I don't necessarily want to be the one who recommended it to you - what if you go blind and complain to me that I was the one who told you to get it? (FACT: No one has ever gone blind from LASIK). But with any surgery - there are risks. I will only say it has been terrific for me and I have absolutely no regrets.
Top 5 reasons I won't miss glasses or contacts:
- While playing video games, my contacts would dry up and fall out from not blinking! I know - you think I'm lame. But I'm sure this happens to other people too.
- When swimming, I could either take out my contacts out and not see, or leave them in and let my eyes burn for days.
- I no longer wake up in the middle of the night and struggle to read what time it is.
- While camping - my contacts always get really dirty and hurt. And I'd have to take along a mirror to get them in. And in the tent, I never knew what to do with my glasses so they wouldn't break by getting stepped on or rolled over on in my sleep. I definitely won't miss cold contact lens solution!
- The convenience of just not having to worry about it. As a senior, some friends and I went on a campout to Causey Dam. I jumped off a cliff and out popped my contacts. I hadn't brought along a pair of glasses, so I west left a blind man for the rest of the trip.
LASIK was a little uncomfortable yes, but definitely not painful. The staff at Hoopes Vision center answered all my questions. They were very reassuring, and walked me through the entire process. The worst part I would have to say was the eye clamps that held my eyes open and the smell of the laser vaporizing the tissue in my eye. It smelled like when someone's hair catches on fire.
Before I wrap up, I want to give a huge thank you to Jana. Lasik isn't necessarily cheap, and Jana probably wanted this for me more than I did. It's going to be a big sacrifice in '09 as we pay it off, and I am so grateful Jana that you are so selfless and willing to sacrifice for me! Thank you! I love you!
Here I am getting prepped right before surgery. It felt a little like I was giving blood - THROUGH MY EYES!
Here I am under the machine that creates the flap in my cornea. The LASIK laser only takes 11 seconds per eye. And Chad, to answer your question, no it wasn't Jesus who was running the laser, he wouldn't have needed it.
And here's kind of a gross close-up of them lifting the flap so they can finish the surgery. They taped my eyelashes open and clamped open my eyes with little mini claws so I couldn't blink.
And here I am all finished up on my way out the door. It was foggy for most of the day but by the next day I was 20/20 in both eyes! What a miracle!
9 comments:
I am just glad it worked after spending all that money! I am so happy for you!
Congratulations! I have worked with Dr. Hoopes before, almost 10 years ago before he owned his own laser. The company I worked for was Clear Vision Laser Centers and that is all we did was lasik surgery. We had a few stationary lasers and a couple mobile lasers and our team would just go wherever we had surgeries scheduled. The doctors (and patients) would just come to us. I am a HUGE advocate of lasik surgery, so I'm glad you were able to take advantage of such a great procedure.
~brandi
Glad to hear everything went well! I bet it's sure nice not to have to worry about contacts or glasses. I want Lasik!
My eyes are watering after seeing the close up of your eye. Jana says you have a video and I want to see it! :)
Congrats!
You are braver than I ever could be. Congratulations though.
Only people like us, (contact wearers, and glass wearers, that are so blind with out them that we wear them 24/7) would understand the joy that comes with the THOUGHT of not having to wear them anymore! I am SOOOOO jealous! Someday I will join you in this adventure of LASIK! Someday....hopefully not too far away! I am glad everything went so well for you!! Until then...my glasses will stay under my pillow as I sleep, ready at any moment for me to wake up and put them on, just to get out of bed and see the clock! Oh, I am jealous...
I'm going to invent a nintendo game that is blurry so that only people with bad vision will be able to see it clearly. If you have good vision and you want to play you'll have to get reverse lasik surgery to make your vision blurry again.
congrats. Did your house burn down?
Post a Comment