Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Leprechaun Sticks

We just returned from a laid-back vacation to Island Park. I've been going to Island Park my entire life. My grandma has a cabin right off Island Park Reservoir. Interestingly enough, I think I've only swam in the reservoir maybe once and I don't remember ever boating there.

It was nice being there just with my parents. Sometimes (like in a few weeks) we all try to go up together. Yes we're a tight-nit family, but the cabin is probably less than 800 square feet, so if you get 5 families up there it can get a little out of hand, especially when you're all sharing one bathroom.

This time the trip was memorable because grandma & grandpa Yospe had had the foresight to plan to bring back the "Leprechaun Stick." This was a tradition we had when I was little. Basically, the adults take the kids on a walk in search of the perfect leprechaun stick. The perfect stick would be relatively short, bendy and have lots of knots in it. I'm not sure we found the perfect stick this time, but close enough. You're then supposed to leave the Leprechaun stick by the fireplace when you go to bed. When you wake up, the stick is gone and candy is in it's place.

On this particular trip, I guess the Leprechaun forgot to take the stick - but at least he remembered the candy....



Since it has a Jack Johnson song in the background - we'll see how long this stays up on youtube. Recently youtube has been replacing the audio tracks on a lot of my old videos because they claim they break copyright laws. O'well.

This video was actually completely shot and edited on my brand new iPhone 4. Yes I'm a total nerd and stood in line for 3 hours to get one. I know some people could give a rat about an iPhone, but I've never loved a piece of technology more. It's the Mary Poppins of technology - "practically perfect in every way." One night at the cabin my dad was on his iPod touch, my mom was playing a hand-held Solitaire game, Jana was on her iPhone and I was on my iPhone. I can't imagine a situation more anti-social than that. But if we all had our noses in books, would that be any different? I like feeling connected, and I'm sure the next generation will connect even more. I use my phone to check facebook, stay on top of work, read news &blogs, listen to music/podcasts, and now to shoot & edit HD video. Probably last (and least) would be playing games - although Luke and Max could play on it all day.

Anyway, thank you mom & dad for keeping the Leprechaun stick tradition alive. We had a great time, and we're happy to be home just in time for all the 4th of July fun.

3 comments:

Heather and Jake said...

Wahoo, Ike, you're back! About time. (Back to blogging that is...but nice to see you're back from the cabin too). Looks like you guys had a good time, and it sounds so relaxing! I laughed when Luke took Max's candy and Max just found a stick on the fireplace. haha

Cheeseboy said...

All hail return of the Leprechaun stick!

Remember when we had to walk down to Marian's cabin just to use the phone and then we had to pay her for the long distance minutes?

Heather and Jake said...

Ike it must be nearing time to go to the cabin again, so you can update your blog.