Thursday, February 28, 2008

UU23D2?

A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to take my good friend Chad on a "man date" to U23D. Even better, we didn't settle for some Movies 10 theatre, it was IMAX baby all the way. Boo-ya! (please help me bring that expression back)

Since it was opening night (sneak preview actually - so even better), the theater was packed with radio station prize pigs and Larry H. Miller's extended family (I kid you not - they roped off almost half the theater for the "friends of the Millers"). The atmosphere was electric and it was all we could do to keep from singing along with Bono at the top of our lungs and cheering like little girls at the end of every song.

It was so good that when the opportunity to see it again came along, I couldn't pass it by. Friday night Jana and I met up with my older siblings clear the heck out at the new District Megaplex (11400 S. Bangerter Highway). Thank you Miley Cyrus for the extra 20 minutes of drive time (IMAX is booked solid right now with Hannah Montana). It wasn't IMAX either, but the only difference I noticed was the IMAX screen was bigger.

You guys - I cannot possibly overhype nor overstate this - this movie really is as good as you may have heard. 5 freaking stars all the way. This aint your mama's 3D, either. No Captain EO blur. This is crisp, high-def glory. Even if you're on-the-fence about U2? Not exactly your cup of tea, you say? Go anyway. I promise you'll still enjoy it, and the better it does in the theaters the more likely your favorite band is to make a freaking awesome 3D movie too.

2 comments:

Woolf Family said...

I'm jealous. I don't think there are any IMAX theaters in NM. We're a bit like old Mexico in that respect.

Anonymous said...

Ike, I was very impressed with the movie. It was ALMOST as cool as being at the concert. I remember when they play "Where the Streets Have No Name" in concert, the place just ready to explode! I have never witnessed such excitement for anything! Not game 7 at a Jazz game, not opening night for Star Wars, not even the opening of Disneyland. There is something about U2. Even casual fans have to admit that a U2 show is greater than any show on earth.

(My apologies to my wife Cathi, who somehow thinks that Garth Brooks has similar excitement. I mean, come on!!)

The movie recaptured some of that same feeling I had at the concert, which just so happened to be the most spiritual non-church experience I have ever had.

Here's to the following bands in 3D soon as well:

1. Pink Floyd
2. Radiohead
3. Pearl Jam

abe